Thursday, October 30, 2014

Soylent Update - 2 Days Later

I've gone through most of the pitcher from the video I made, and I wanted to update my findings a bit.

I've been replacing about 1.5 meals a day with Soylent. I'll do a small bit for breakfast at 10 AM (maybe 300 calories worth), grab a smaller than normal lunch of actual food around 1 PM, then have a bigger portion in the mid-afternoon at around 4 or 5 PM (probably in the range of 600 calories or so), and finally have a smaller than normal dinner of actual food around 8 or 9 PM, which admittedly is late for me.

I haven't seen any of the gut-churning, room clearing gas that previous Soylent 1.0 customers seemed to complain about. In fact, as TMI as this may be, my bowels have never felt better to be perfectly honest, though given it's only been two days might be too early to proclaim victory. But the upside is that I am eating less junk. Because I eat out less, my soda intake has also gone down, which may also have something to do with a happier gut.

The taste definitely got better after it had been refrigerated for about 24 hours. It actually tasted quite neutral and I could drink it pretty well without grimacing or looking askance at the glass afterwards. The grittiness seemed to go away as well, though I wonder if I just didn't shake it enough originally. It would still be nice to have some sort of fruit mixer for it, but I don't think it's strictly necessary anymore.

After drinking breakfast or second lunch/first dinner (hobbitses), there was a definite feeling of satiety. I didn't feel hungry at all, and I could tell much more easily when to stop eating than I can with solid foods. That might be a byproduct of the eating because I have to rather than eating because it tastes good, but it has helped me to just eat less overall, as well. Given that most of my excess weight comes from eating too much crappy food, I can only think of this as a plus in my mind.

Overall, I'm actually rather impressed. I'm going to keep going through the Soylent at the rate at which I have been until I run out (so likely about 2 weeks), and we'll see how things are from there.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us try it. It wasn't bad at all. I couldn't do it for every meal, but 1 a day would be fine.

    ReplyDelete