Tuesday, April 19, 2016

[IndieDev] PAX East Bound! Marketing and Conventions

Just a quick update post, Eon Altar will have a booth with the Indie Megabooth for PAX East this year. I'll be headed out with the band to help man the booth, which is a super fun time. This will be my third convention for Eon, so I'm definitely getting the whole booth thing down. It helps that I have a few years of retail employment under my belt, as well. Not something I expected to ever use as a software developer, but hey, whatever works, right?

Our PAX Prime 2015 Booth, before the floor opened
Our booth should be even better than our PAX Prime booth, which was awesome but cramped. We've learned more about good ways to present our game, and just have more space in general. We also have a bit of help now from folks who actually have marketing experience, such as Kristen Beane of The Game Doctors, which should also help.

Speaking of help, we have Ali Baker, of Machinima and RoosterTeeth fame also helping us with our booth this time, which is pretty cool.
A lot of this comes down to as indie developers, we may know how to make games, but marketing and presenting them is another matter entirely. From the work I've done so far on the marketing side, I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I can throw together neat features in relatively shorts amount of time, I can help design our UI and mechanics, but hawking our wares? Shooting in the dark.

However, I'm still (sorta) the face of the dev team, being the most active member on social media, our forums, tech support, blog posts, and the like. And I plan on continuing in that role! But it'll be great to have people who do this sort of thing for a living to help guide us.

Marketing the meta-game around couch co-op is...difficult
So yeah, PAX East, woo! We should also have a fun patch dropping around the same time that has been "Coming Soon!" since our initial Early Access release, so keep an eye out for that too!
#IndieDev, #GameDevelopment, #PAX

No comments:

Post a Comment